R4i Ultra Setup Guide
In this tutorial I’m going to explain how to set up your R4i Ultra.
What you’ll need for this tutorial:
- An Official R4i Ultra Card
- A MicroSD or MicroSDHC card ranging from 1GB to 32GB
First I’ll explain how to set up your R4i Ultra Firmware:
Download the latest firmware
- Make a folder on your desktop called R4i,then download the R4i Ultra firmware from the link below, save it in the R4i folder you just created.
- Now you have downloaded a .zip file.
If using a PC, you can extract that file with WinRar, which you can freely download and install from here:
If using a MAC you will need to have a software installed that can uncompress Zip files.
- When you’ve installed WinRar, rightclick on the .zip file you’ve downloaded (R4Ultra_v1.54_English.zip)
and select the option“Extract To R4Ultra_v1.54_English\”
- Now you will have a new folder called "R4Ultra_v1.54_English" which will have the below files in it, like in the picture below, once
this is done, move onto step 5.
- Now plug in your microSD in your PC, and copy the files and folders from the above picture to the root (so not in a folder)
of your microSD card, once you have done that your MicroSD card will look like the picture below.
- Now you’re R4i Ultra firmware is installed, if this is the first time you are using the card, you need
to also program it in a DS or DS Lite console to enable it to function in a DSi, this only needs to be done once
and below is how to do that.
How to program the R4i Ultra in a DS or DS Lite to enable DSi & 3DS use
- Download the R4i Ultra update file from the link below, save it in your R4i folder on the desktop.
- Now right click on that file you just downloaded and select
Extract To r4i_dsi_update\
- Now you will have a folder called “r4i_dsi_update” and inside the folder will be a file called r4i_dsi_update.nds, copy
this file onto your MicroSD card you use with the R4i Ultra, so your MicroSD card will now look like the photo below.
- Once you have copied the r4i_dsi_update.nds file onto the MicroSD card, remove the MicroSD card from the PC and insert it into the
R4i, once that has been done insert the R4i into a DS or DS Lite and load up the R4i to the main menu.
- Once loaded you will see a PacMan icon on the far left, move over to it and press the A button, it will load to your files on the MicroSD card
and you should see the r4i_dsi_update.nds file which you click on and load, once loaded it will guide you to program the R4i, once
completed it will say turn off your DS or DS Lite, after its completed your R4i is now ready to use in a DSi or 3DS console.